Friday, October 26, 2007

oh baby, baby

Since my supplier makes very cute baby clothes from organic cotton, my beautiful sister, Rosie, asked me to add some to the line. Not for her, of course, but for her adorable baby boy, David. So I ordered a sample long-sleeved sleeper suit (it comes in 6, 12, and 18 month sizes) in ecru to see what I could make.


Then I drew a blank. Every once in a while I suffer from "spray-painter's block" and have no idea what to paint on a new article of clothing. Like TLC, I ain't too proud to beg, so I asked Rosie what I should paint. We went back and forth on some ideas, but nothing jumped out for either of us. Then I pulled out my file of past stencils and found a complex French-inspired design I originally made for my friend, Will. You see, Will is a chocolatier who just opened a chocolate cafe in San Diego (on El Cajon by Alabama), and this design is on his chocolate bar wrappers. I never would have thought about putting it on baby clothes, but it WORKS!


Here's a photo. I wish I had a baby to model it. Hopefully, Rosie will send me pictures of David wearing it.


No comments: